Are you a tomato lover? Now is the perfect time of year to grab a juicy one and enjoy it. Hi, I’m Shannah from Just Us Four and I’m here today to share my recipe for a baked green tomato stack. It is the perfect summertime appetizer or light meal.
Green tomatoes are definitely a treasure for tomato lovers. They are most famously known as fried green tomatoes but, here, they get a lighter touch to let their flavor really shine through.
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 green tomato, sliced ¼ thick
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, lemon zest and 1/4 tsp Cajun seasoning. Stir well.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Place one tomato slice in dish. Top with 1/2 of onion mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 of salt mixture. Top with 1/2 of each cheese.
- Add another tomato and each of the onion, salt and cheese layers. Top with tomato slice and sprinkle with remaining salt mixture.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
What are some of your favorite summer dishes? Do you like to try and take advantage of the best of summer’s produce like fresh green tomatoes?
If you are looking for more summer dishes that are perfect for using summer produce, be sure to come visit me to check these out