Today I have a super cute Adjustable Bow Tie Tutorial for you. If you stop by Twin Dragonfly Designs you will find all sorts of little boy back-to-school DIY ideas and we hope that you will visit soon.
My boys love accessories.
So with both of them off to Kindergarten this fall I just knew that a few cute bow ties would be needed.
If you would like to make your own, here’s how…
1. Start by cutting out three pieces of fabric in the following dimensions: 6″ x 11″, 2″ x 3.5″ and 2.25″ x 16″These are sized for a child ages 4-10 years old.
2. Fold each piece of fabric in half lengthwise, right sides facing and sew the longest unfinished edge together using a 1/4″ seam.
3. Invert each piece of fabric so that right sides are now facing out.
4. Iron each piece so that the seam is centered at the back.
5. Fold the largest piece and smallest piece in half with the seam on the outside. Sew the unfinished edges together.
6. Invert the large and small pieces to create tubes of fabric. Iron the larger piece flat with the seam at the back. Tuck the unfinished ends of the longer piece inside and sew them closed.
7. Use a suspender/paci clip to create an adjustable neck portion. Fold one end of the long piece of fabric through the clip and sew it into place.
8. Squash the center of the largest piece in the center to create a bow shape.
9. Tack the center of the bow into place with a needle and thread.
10. Tuck the bow into the smallest piece of fabric and sew that into place in the center.
11. The longest piece of fabric through the small center loop and you are all done!
Using a suspender clip makes the tie totally adjustable. Simply fold and clip the end of the fabric to make the neck portion smaller. I found clips at our local fabric store and even upcycled some from a pair of thrifted suspenders.
This little superhero loves his assortment of ties.
Heather loves to inspire creativity on her blog, Twin Dragonfly Designs, where she shares epic craft tutorials, delicious recipes and all things DIY. This Canadian girl is also a passionate instructor who teaches programs such as: Pinspired Projects, Cupcake Creations and Toddlers in the Park. Heather balances life as a working twin momma, wife, daughter and entrepreneur, while keeping it all real.
My name is Kim, founder of Inspiration Made Simple, and I'm really glad you have stopped by!
I'm a mom, wife, DIY and fitness enthusiast. I love sharing simple and affordable ideas that help make your busy life easier, including craft tutorials, printables, recipes, party ideas, and fun family activities. Learn more about Kim...
Weekly Creative Newsletter
Creative inspiration in your inbox, never miss a post!
Thanks! Keep an eye on your inbox for updates including a free gift!
Join 12,000+ subscribers!
Join our mailing list to receive creative inspiration in your inbox and never miss a post!
As a thank you for subscribing you'll receive our printable Activity Cubes!