I’m exciting to be joining up with 85+ other Bloggers today to bring you some fabulous Red, White and Blue Projects and Recipes, all of which are PERFECT for the upcoming 4th of July Holiday. There is a little bit of something for everyone, so make sure to scroll to the bottom of this post to check out all of the amazing projects that are being shared!
I’m sharing Firecracker Muddy Buddies, which are a HIT with the under 10 crowd. Seriously, if you want to be the cool mom this 4th of July, serve these! The perfect special treat for a holiday BBQ, the special ingredients add a little “pop” to this popular snack mix! What are the special ingredients you ask? Why exactly is this called Firecracker Muddy Buddies? Well… first, we have to achieve the red coloring to add to the patriotic flair, for that, we use Strawberry Jello Mix. But the real ingredient that makes this so spectacular? POP ROCKS! That’s right! You’ll hear fizzing and popping as you chow down.
Since I was going for a Red, White and Blue theme, I decided on white and red sugar coated Chex cereal and Blue Raspberry Pop Rocks – except… DUN.DUN.DUN. Blue Raspberry Pop Rocks are actually more of a green. BUMMER! But have no fear! I simply grabbed my blue sugar crystal sprinkles and added those to the mix as well, I mean, why not?!
Want to give this a try for the 4th of July? Below you’ll find the recipe! Hope you enjoy!
Firecracker Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups Corn Chex or Rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups white vanilla baking chips 12 oz bag
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Box Strawberry Jello
- 2 Packets Blue Raspberry Pop Rocks
- Blue Sprinkles
- Into a large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 2 small bowls, add 3/4 cups powdered sugar. In 1 of the bowls, add the Strawberry Jello, whisk. Set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave white vanilla baking chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Split the cereal into two 1 gallon resealable storage bags.
- Add powdered sugar, Pop Rocks and Sprinkles. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Do the same for the red version.
- Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.