Hello! It’s Nikole, dessert contributor, here with a favorite dessert recipe. Tis the season for strawberries and rhubarb, and to keep things simple I came up with a strawberry rhubarb crisp. Though of course I love the pie version too. We love to go pick our own strawberries and we grow rhubarb in our garden which makes this taste all the better! And the kids love knowing that they helped make this family favorite recipe.
Don’t forget the vanilla ice cream! My family likes to warm up the crisp and then scoop ice cream on top.
- 4 cups diced strawberry's (about 1 lb)
- 3 cups of prepared sliced rhubarb 1/2 thick (about 10 stalks)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 1 1/4 cup white flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup soft butter, sliced
- peel the outer strings, the redder the stalk the better
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl
- In a seperate bowl mix flour, brown sugar and oats. Work the sliced butter into the ingredients so that it becomes crumbly.
- Bake at 375 degrees in a 13x9 baking dish for 35 minutes or until it gets bubbly and the topping starts to brown
Also, my kids really enjoy helping me back and I’ve found that they are more apt to try new things when they helped cook it. It’s great (and simple) for kids to add the ingredients, mix and help pour! Don’t be afraid to let them lend a hand.