With two dogs at home, we tend to go through dog treats. I don’t love buying the cheap ones at the store because I know they’re full of unnecessary additives, so my daughter and I decided to make some Homemade Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Treats.
Using only a handful of ingredients you can make healthier treats for your furry children. I also like that you control the portion size. We use treats as a reward for going outside, or going into the kennel, so I like them to be on the smaller side.
But what if you don’t have a cookie-cutter? Or you really want dog bone shapes and don’t have a cutter that shape? I’ve got you covered! I created a template, printed it out and then used a knife to cut out the treats.
I went with 3″ bones for my dogs, but I added a 4″ and 5″ option to the template. You can download it at the bottom of this post!
Warning: You will have little beggars watching your every move during this process!
Now on to the Homemade Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Treat recipe!
How to make dog treats
Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Treats
- Hand Mixer
- Rolling Pin
- Measuring Cups
- 2/3 cup Canned Pumpkin Can also use mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine pumpkin, peanut butter and eggs with a hand mixer set to low.
- Once well combined, gradually add in 2 1/2 cups of flour. After about 2 cups I stopped using the mixer and used my hands like I would when making sugar cookies.
- Lightly flour your work surface and knead the mixture into a round piece of dough. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to about 1/4" in thickness.
- Using cookie cutters, or the template and a knife, cut out the treats and place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Place into oven and bake until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.*
- Let cool completely.
I hope you and your pooches enjoy these Homemade Peanut Butter Pumpkin Dog Treats. If you give them a try, let me know how it goes!
Don’t have a dog bone cookie cutter? Download the template by clicking the button above. Save it to your computer, open in Adobe Reader and print out. The top bone is 3″, middle 4″ and bottom 5″. Choose whichever one is best for your dog. Cut it out and use it as a stencil to cut the shapes from the dough!