Hi everyone! It is Shannah, from My Suburban Kitchen, here to share a new recipe with you. Right now, we are all about outdoor entertaining and recipes that are simple to put together. Kale is all the rage and I cook with it a lot. But, it comes in HUGE bags so I am always looking for new ways to use it. That is how my recipe for spicy kale crostini was born.
The best thing about this crostini is that, if you don’t have kale around, you can easily substitute spinach or even broccoli rabe! Oh, and of course, you are getting in some green veggies which is always a win!
Simple Crostini Recipe
1 loaf French baguette, sliced
4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
3 cups kale, chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
3 cloves roasted garlic, minced
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Salt to taste
1/4 grated, fresh Parmesan cheese
Let’s Make It:
1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Brush bread slices with olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and let cool.
2) Heat 3 Tbsp of olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Next, add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for an additional minute. Add 1/2 of kale and cook for a few minutes. Then, add the remaining kale after the first batch wilts enough to fit it into the pan. Saute for 5-8 minutes. If the mixture begins to dry out, add 1-2 Tbsp water and the same amount of olive oil.
3) Spoon kale mixture on top of bread slices. Top with grated Parmesan and serve.
This crostini was a big hit at the last get together we had. I loved it because it was so simple to make. If you wanted to add even more flavor, spread some fresh ricotta on the bread before topping with the kale mixture.
Spicy Kale Crostini
- 1 French baguette sliced diagonally
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- 3 cups kale roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves roasted garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, 3-5 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Heat remaining 3 Tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until softened; about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for an additional minute.
- Add half of the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes or until it begins to wilt.
- Add remaining kale and saute for an additional 5-8 minutes or until lightly wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon kale mixture on top of bread slices.
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese.