Quick note: Friendly Tuesday is now going to be once a month. If you would like to share a tutorial with us in November, please email me at 733blog(at)gmail.com. The rest of the Tuesday’s will be reserved for my crafts, giveaways or the such. Now let’s welcome the30girl!
Hello, I’m Katie from the30girl and I’m so excited to be here to share this quick and simple tutorial for a “Pouf” headband. This little headband is wonderfully suited to girls of all ages, even if you wrote off tulle when you stopped playing dress up. Since I’ve yet to have a little girl to dress up, I’m still playing, without makeup as you can see.
One of my favorite crafty things to do is to create fabric flowers of all styles. The following technique for creating a “pouf” can be used with tulle, felt, or any fabric of your choice to create a variety of looks. You can use these poufs to create headbands, brooches, clothing adornments, and even festive wreathes.
32 (2 stacks of 16) tulle circles (cut to the size of your choice; I use a tin can as my template)
needle and thread (color should be the same as tulle)
1 black elastic headband (style of your choice)
1. To make one pouf, I use sixteen tulle circles. My circles are the diameter of a tin can; however, you can use any circle template (the bigger the circle the bigger your pouf!).
2. Before threading the circles on your needle and thread, fold the circle in half; then, fold the semi-circle in half to create a conical shape.
3. Next, pull each piece of tulle onto your thread by putting the needle through the pointed tip of the folded circle.
4. Remove your needle and pull the two ends of your thread together while pushing and pulling the tulle pieces to create a pouf. Tie off the thread to secure it. Repeat steps 1-4 to create two poufs.
5. Attach the poufs to the elastic headband with a couple of stitches. Be sure and attach them very close together so that the two poufs “smoosh” together to form one larger pouf for your headband.
Voila! A feminine and delightfully special pouf for your or your little girl’s head!